Lyon is France’s third largest city but still is a hugely underrated gem. A gorgeous blend of the old and the new, and dripping in culture, Lyon is known as being the birthplace of cinema and for being the capital city of French gastronomy.
Incredible cuisine and local produce aside, other highlights include several UNESCO World Heritage sites (including Roman Ruins), excellent shops, and interesting museums, bustling bars and cafes and its sophisticated and elegant air. Its hotels are pretty fine and special too.
From intimate unique boutiques to opulent and grand, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Lyon, France (in no particular order)…
1. Mama Shelter Lyon – one of the coolest hotels in Lyon providing guests with an urban, hip and Insta-worthy stay
One of the most upbeat and sociable addresses to stay in Lyon, the hip Mama Shelter is more than your average hotel with fancy rooms and an onsite restaurant.
It welcomes travelers to experience the action and entertainment of the 7th Arrondissement and the eclectic Jean Macé quarters with proximity to the city’s most popular attractions.
Mama Shelter offers 150 comfortable and quality rooms equipped with high-speed WiFi, a TV with free movies on demand, a photo booth, and smart appliances.
Guests enjoy socializing and unwinding over drinks in the hip lounging area. The in-house restaurant adds prestige to Mama Shelter with its Michelin-starred chefs and authentic French cuisine. Easily one of the coolest hotels in Lyon!
- To book, check prices or availability for Mama Shelter Lyon
2. Okko Hotels Lyon Pont Lafayette – a tech-savvy, stylish and modern accommodation perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs to explore the city
Nestled in the heart of the city’s most vibrant and action-packed quarter, the Okko Hotels offers a distinct Lyon experience with its classic Haussmann architecture and brilliantly designed guest rooms.
This trendy 4-star boutique hotel offers guests 85 guest rooms and 6 lavishly decorated premium suites.
Guests staying at the Okko Hotels have access to a wide range of modern comforts and facilities, including air conditioning, Nespresso machines, free WiFi, 24-hour club access, evening Aperitivo sessions, and a multitude of snacking options.
The location is more than ideal, within proximity to the upbeat Presqu’Ile neighborhood, the Lafayette Bridge, and the River Rhône.
- To book, check prices or availability for Okko Hotels Lyon Pont Lafayette
3. Greet Hotel Lyon Confluence – an eco-friendly, creative and hip hotel perfectly located to explore the city
An urban establishment with a chic, modern ambiance and a lively, sociable environment, the Greet Hotel is a haven for Jazz lovers and travelers looking to find their tribe in a new city. The hotel revolves around a simple concept: sleeping comfortably and eating the best of French food that Lyon has to offer.
It revolves around the philosophy of delivering its guests a localized and authentic Lyon experience, making it one of the perfect places for large groups of travelers. Greet Hotel’s popularity stems from the vibrant and eclectic Chez Simone, a delightful space for fun evenings and events.
- To book, check prices or availability for Greet Hotel Lyon Confluence
4. Boscolo Lyon Hotel & Spa – a 5-star, elegant boutique hotel with a picturesque location in the heart of Lyon
The Boscolo offers the most picturesque location, nestled in the midst of Lyon’s two breathtaking rivers, the Rhone and the Saone. This prestigious hotel is based in a magnificent 19th-century historical site, beautifully preserved and extensively renovated to offer vintage splendors with contemporary comforts.
The guest rooms and suites at the Boscolo offer the typical opulence of a luxury 5-star hotel, from air conditioning and smart appliances to breathtaking views of the Rhone from private balconies.
Guests enjoy attending events and socializing in the charming Grand Salon – a remarkable new addition to the previous winter garden or delighting their muscles with luxuriating massages at the world-class spa.
- To book, check prices or availability for Boscolo Lyon Hotel & Spa
5. MOB HOTEL Lyon Confluence – a cool, fun and trendy hotel host to an array of events perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
The MOB Hotel is more than your average hotel; it’s a treasure trove of opulent experiences and lavish comforts. Home to 100 minimalist and artistic rooms and suites, guests can choose between single and double accommodations.
The rooms are finely furnished with palatial-style furniture, intensely soft bedding, and smart appliances.
The highlight of staying at MOB is the hotel’s organic restaurant that collaborates with agricultural cooperatives to deliver an authentic farm-to-table dining experience.
Some other amazing facilities include the 24-hour AIR MOB venue, the outdoor cinema, a stage for live performances featuring celebrated artists, sprawling gardens, and two onsite pop-up stores.
- To book, check prices or availability for MOB HOTEL Lyon Confluence
6. InterContinental Lyon – Hotel Dieu, an IHG Hotel – an upscale, contemporary and historic hotel featuring a bar, garden and fitness center
Famous among Lyon’s most magnificent and symbolic historical heritage sites from the 18th and 19th centuries, the grand Hotel Dieu is a charming abode of opulence and gastronomy.
The hotel has an idyllic charm and a romantic setting, nestled along the picturesque Rhône River, offering fabulous riverfront views from the suites and courtyards.
The Junior Suite is a family-friendly accommodation with a spacious bedroom, living area, and breathtaking riverfront views from the ornate windows. The Presidential Suite is more lavish with its elegant finishing, private balconies, living area, dining room, and two master bedrooms.
Hotel Dieu is also home to one of Lyon’s most celebrated restaurants, Epona and the Garden – famous for its scrumptious Italian cuisine, flavorful cocktails, and whimsical garden-like setting.
- To book, check prices or availability for InterContinental Lyon -Hotel Dieu, an IHG Hotel
7. Collège Hôtel – a unique, charming and school-themed accommodation housed in a nineteenth-century building
Located in the Old Lyon district, the Collège Hôtel is an unusually creative school-themed accommodation grounded in the philosophy of greeting its guests with the bittersweetness of back-to-school nostalgia. The cool hotel’s rise to fame stems from its quirky theme, breathtaking city views, 40 elegantly tasteful guest rooms, and an iconic art piece by Pablo Reinoso – designed exclusively for the College Hotel.
Guests are fascinated by the hotel’s exclusive theme, unique décor, and delightful Art Deco structure. The rooms and suites come with private balconies and sprawling terraces that offer splendid views of the old quarters and its heritage sites.
- To book, check prices or availability for Collège Hôtel
A 5-star luxury establishment nestled in the heart of Lyon, La Villa Florentine is housed in a historic building of a former convent. The site has undergone extensive renovation, beautifully preserving the historic architecture and grand interiors with modern upgrades befitting a luxury hotel.
The architecture and interiors pay homage to the themes of the Italian Renaissance with their rich detailing and exquisite play of symmetries and shades. The Villa is home to 29 uniquely charming rooms and suites offering contemporary comforts with stunning panoramic views of the glitzy cityscape.
The luxury and charm of La Villa Florentine are accentuated by the heated panoramic pool, whirlpool, sauna, and state-of-the-art training studio.
- To book, check prices or availability for Villa Florentine
A stone’s throw away from Lyon’s majestic Basilica, the Fourviere Hotel offers sprawling views of the Roman amphitheaters and other heritage sites.
Housed in the building that served as the 1854 Convent of Visitation constructed by Bossan, the Fourviere Hotel is drenched in old-world magnificence and European charm.
The interiors are a visual feast of art and culture, and you will find several breathtaking artworks created by celebrated Franco-Argentinian artist Pablo Reinoso exclusively for the hotel.
Guests can choose from a selection of 75 exquisitely furnished rooms and suites offering panoramic views of Lyon’s historical quarters. Enjoy authentic Lyonnaise delicacies at Le Bouchon, the hotel’s onsite restaurant.
- To book, check prices or availability for Fourviere Hotel
10. Cour des Loges Lyon, a member of Radisson Individuals – a charming, cozy and upscale hotel where guests can experience a Michelin-starred gourmet restaurant
This Renaissance-themed accommodation nestled in the charming quarters of Old Lyon is a sensory feast of art, architecture, and period interiors.
Art lovers and history buffs will find themselves awed by the rich, ornate interiors and extravagant decoration of this Renaissance hotel, offering a romantic setting for a honeymoon or getaway.
Guests can explore small, mid-sized, and family-friendly suites equipped with modern amenities and smart appliances, or they can experience French extravagance at one of the hotel’s upscale luxury suites. The Cour des Loges is also home to the celebrated Michelin-starred restaurant Les Loges, a world-class spa, hammam, indoor swimming pool, and hot tub.
- To book, check prices or availability for Cour des Loges Lyon, a member of Radisson Individuals
11. Maison Nô – Hôtel et Rooftop – a bright, unique boutique hotel steps away from several famous Instagrammable attractions
Tucked in the heart of Lyon’s vibrant and upbeat Presqu’île neighborhood, the Maison No offers splendid views of the Rhone and Saone rivers from its 45 elegantly refined guest rooms. The hotel is famous for its intimate setting, friendly staff, and a fabulous restaurant, the Rooftop.
This 4-star accommodation offers proximity to the city’s most popular sites, including the Opera House and riverside fine dining establishments. Guests have access to a wide array of modern amenities, including a wellness center, sauna, and a state-of-the-art fitness studio.
Dining at the Rooftop is an unpretentiously special experience, for the restaurant is quite popular for its classic Lyonesse cuisine and unparalleled panoramic views of the cityscape and riverbanks.
- To book, check prices or availability for Maison Nô – Hôtel et Rooftop
12. Lagrange Aparthotel Lyon Lumière – a stylish, vibrant and cool accommodation ideal for a relaxing and rejuvenating getaway
The Lagrange Aparthotel is nestled in the historic quarters of the city, tucked between the Monplaisir- Lumière and Sans Souci metro stations. It’s a terrific location for travelers eager to limit their commuting costs and explore the entire city, as the Lyon-Part-Dieu train station is also nearby.
The stylish hotel offers 130 polished and sleek modern apartments with contemporary and vibrant interiors that delight the eyes with their rich pastel hues. The apartments provide ample convenience and privacy, with sprawling bedrooms, fully equipped kitchenettes, and smart appliances.
Guests can also enjoy the hotel’s world-class spa, hammam, Jacuzzi, sauna, and a delightful continental breakfast.
- To book, check prices or availability for Lagrange Aparthotel Lyon Lumière
13. MiHotel Bizolon – a trendy, contemporary and art-deco accommodation offering guests a continental breakfast each morning
The MiHotel Bizolon is a modern centrally-located hotel, ideal for travelers who want to position themselves in the heart of all the fun and entertainment.
This location is within proximity to some of Lyon’s most popular attractions, including the Museum of Fine Arts of Lyon, Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourviere, and the Fourviere Roman Theatre.
The hotel offers a wide variety of guest rooms suitable for solo travelers, couples, families with children, and large groups traveling together. The rooms are equipped with air conditioning, satellite TV, a lounging area, a private bathroom, a safety deposit box, and quality linens.
Guests can start their day with the hotel’s continental breakfast and approach the hotel staff for assistance with tours and tickets.
- To book, check prices or availability for MiHotel Bizolon
14. Hotel De Verdun 1882, BW Signature Collection – a quirky, unique and chic hotel ideal for those ready to embrace the culture of the city
One of the best family-friendly accommodations in the city, Hotel De Verdun 1882 offers an ideal location for travelers eager to explore Lyon’s iconic historical heritage and landmarks. Erected in a 1930 privately-owned mansion, the architecture and interior give the hotel a charming outlook with a period-style grace.
The suites at the Hotel De Verdun are delightful with their vintage 19-century accents and ornate detailing. All rooms come with attached bathrooms, high-speed WiFi, satellite TV, and other amenities.
Guests are offered a sumptuous breakfast buffet spread daily, while many of the city’s finest restaurants and cafes are within walking distance.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel De Verdun 1882, BW Signature Collection
15. Hotel Le Royal Lyon – MGallery – an iconic, quirky boutique hotel within walking distance from popular local attractions
Hotel Le Royal lives up to its name with its traditional European splendors and a philosophy grounded in the French art de Vivre. Snuggled between the Rhone and the Saone, Le Royal has a magnificent location and a heartbreakingly romantic setting.
It is an abode of polished elegance and old-world charm, curating a one-of-its-kind experience for travelers with a keen appreciation for art, culture, and finesse.
The Royal offers 72 beautifully decorated rooms and suites with spectacular river views and extravagant amenities to maximize the comfort of their guests. Travelers can enjoy fine dining in the Cote Cuisine dining area and socialize with like-minded guests in the exquisite Cote Bellecour lounging area.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Le Royal Lyon – MGallery
16. Hotel Carlton Lyon – MGallery Hotel Collection – one of the best located hotels for exploring Lyon where guests can enjoy a lavish, historic and modern stay
The Carlton offers an enchanting setting and an authentic French experience with 80 elegantly designed guestrooms, a warm ambiance, and an address encompassing a world of grandeur and opulence. Snuggled between the picturesque Rhone and Saone rivers, the architecture of the hotel compliments the natural beauty with its iron-forged balconies, classic dome, and rotundas.
Guests enjoy a splendid array of amenities and adornments at the Carlton, including a hammam, eclectic bar, and state-of-the-art spa. The signature rooms pay tribute to the great artists and maestros who have stayed there with highlights and memorabilia from their trips.
Staying at the Carlton is a grand experience, and the ideal location makes it easy to explore the best Lyon has to offer with considerable ease.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Carlton Lyon – MGallery Hotel Collection
We also have posts on…
- Cool and unique hotels in Paris
- Cool and unique hotels in Nice
- Cool and unique hotels in Rome
- Cool and unique hotels in Venice
- Cool and unique hotels in Brussels
- Cool and unique hotels in Vienna
- Cool and unique hotels in Barcelona
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Zurich
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Andorra
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Les Portes du Soleil
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Megeve
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lake Geneva
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lausanne
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Turin
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Siena
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Marseille
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.