There are a million compelling reasons to put a trip to Milan on your bucket list. Italy’s second city is a resplendent compendium of art, history, and architecture, and combines a wild passion for football with an extraordinary culinary scene. The legacy of Leonardo Da Vinci, the grand Duomo Cathedral, the majestic Opera La Scala, and the remarkable gastronomic traditions are among many features that fortify Milan’s status as an extraordinary hub of culture.
Milan is also at the centre of the Italian fashion scene. Film stars, big name brands, and supermodels flock here twice a year for the spring and autumn shows, and revel in the city’s eclectic lifestyle.
At the heart of Milan’s hospitality scene is its stunning hotels, which range from glamorous boutiques to luxury, glass-fronted high-rises. Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Milan, Italy (in no particular order)...
1. Collini Rooms – a funky, unique and hip hotel filled with themed Instagrammable décor and features
The Collini brand is distinguished by ground-breaking creativity, and offers many innovative design concepts. Life-sized sculptures and cars are positioned in the backdrop of dazzling wallpaper, with vivid décor exuding eccentricity and energy.
Guests are invited to get lost in the colourful labyrinth of the hotel’s artistic dynamism, and take a rest in rooms that were designed to enchant. Each room was devised with a unique theme, and inspires a journey that goes far beyond the typical travel experience.
The Collini Café is a space where you can experience epicurean dishes in a hip, trendy environment, and exclusive flavours teeming with artistic ideas bring a whole new definition to the term ‘gourmet’.
- To book, check prices or availability for Collini Rooms
2. NYX Hotel Milan by Leonardo Hotels – one of the coolest hotels in Milan providing guests with a hip, urban and art stay
Once you arrive at NYX Hotel, an urban and artsy vibe is set at the entrance by gleaming, golden statues, establishing a classy and sassy tone.
Each floor of this hotel-meets-art gallery is adorned with pieces by a different street artist, while the common spaces are dressed in colourful neon lights and offer arcade video games. Bold wallpapers, sleek lines, and the performances of guest DJs complete the stylish urban feel.
The 299 guestrooms are all dressed in an airy and modern aesthetic of retro cinema prints, design lamps, and brightly coloured walls. The urban vibe is translated into food at The Clash Restaurant, which features a selection of street food specialities from Italy and beyond.
- To book, check prices or availability for NYX Hotel Milan by Leonardo Hotels
3. Aethos Milan – a cool, quirky and themed hotel perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Teeming with character, this cool hotel features dark cosy interiors full of sporting memorabilia, vintage pieces, and precious antiques.
Aethos is ideally located close to Navigli, Milan’s nightlife hub where quirky boutiques and lively bars straddle the scenic canals.
Every nook and cranny was thoughtfully appointed with curios gathered from flea markets around the world, and the walls are decorated with skis, old bowling balls, riding boots, skates, and even a pommel horse.
The sport theme extends into many of the guestrooms, with hunting and motorcycling-inspired décor setting an idiosyncratic tone. Others feature a predominantly English country-style look, with antique mahogany chests, tweed, and tartan coloured in dark palettes.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aethos Milan
4. Nhow Milan – a vibrant, creative and trendy hotel located in the heart of Via Tortona
Reflecting the history of the Tortona neighbourhood, Nhow is brimming with colourful design pieces, rotating art exhibitions, and industrial details, catalysing a space that is hotel, gallery, and meeting point all at once.
A dark tunnel with a large wave-shaped video wall provides scenic access to the lobby, while jellyfish ceiling lights and shark-shaped bins emanate a fun-loving, charismatic atmosphere.
Some of the details from the building’s original roots as an electrics factory are maintained and turned into something modern, topped with sleek, glossy surfaces and splashes of bright colour.
The guestrooms are made bright and welcoming by minimalistic lines and flamboyant orange walls, and are matched by trailblazing amenities.
- To book, check prices or availability for Nhow Milan
5. Hotel VIU Milan – a 5-star, lavish and trendy hotel with an Insta-worthy rooftop bar, perfect for Millennial and Gen Zs
Epitomising Milan’s urban regeneration, Hotel VIU is housed in an eco-sustainable building, and a lush vertical garden beautifully sits on both sides of a stunning, glass-fronted façade.
Within this one-of-a-kind Japanese-style exterior, you will find lots of ivy, jasmine, wisteria, honeysuckle, and climbing roses. Warm, natural hues decorate the contemporary interiors, complemented by works of art made with recycled paper.
The panoramic rooftop terrace boasts a shimmering pool where you can bathe in splendour as you revel over the gorgeous cityscape.
The guestrooms, draped in neutral shades of taupe and coffee, create a sense of warmth, enhanced by beautifully varnished metal lamps and rosewood panelling.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel VIU Milan
6. Armani Hotel Milano – an upscale, iconic and 5-star hotel where guests can enjoy an exceptional stay
As you can imagine this is not one for the budget traveller! This is a 5 star luxury hotel for the avid fashionista with plenty of cash to flash, but you get what you pay for in this case.
An opulent blend of contemporary luxury, perfectly curated artworks, pristine rooms and suites and exquisite fine dining. The Armani is a display of everything at the very core of the brand and the coveted Milanese lifestyle, bespoke style and elegance, high fashion and unequivocal luxury!
There are full spa and gym facilities as well as many special services available to guests, including a made-to-measure service for women and tailoring for men that takes you through the whole process of creating an Armani garment uniquely for you.
- To book, check prices or availability for Armani Hotel Milano
7. INNSiDE by Melia Milano Torre GalFa – a chic, pet-friendly and contemporary hotel where guests can enjoy spectacular views overlooking the city
Housed in an iconic 30-storey skyscraper with a stunning glass and steel exterior, INNSiDE is an idyllic city-centre hotel that connects a passion for wellbeing with the lively Milanese social agenda.
Blurring the lines between business and pleasure, this contemporary accommodation brings its own distinctive personality to the Milan cityscape, and provides rooms and suites bound by a minimalist spirit.
The Big Idea Space is the perfect spot to host a creative meeting, while the on-site eatery Batticor is characterized by a locally inspired menu and a signature cocktail collection.
The panoramic gym invites you to reenergize 24 hours a day, and offers classes led by experts in the fitness realm.
- To book, check prices or availability for INNSiDE by Melia Milano Torre GalFa
8. voco Milan-Fiere, an IHG Hotel – a stylish, new and lifestyle hotel ideal for those travelling on business
Situated just moments away from Fiera Milano, voco Milan-Fiere is clad in luxury materials exuding a boutique flair, with low-hanging lights, behemoth plants, and large glass walls setting a scene of opulence.
The guestrooms are minimalist and functional in design and offer scintillating views of Milan’s effervescent skyline. After an action-packed day in the city, you can retreat to a refreshing moment of downtime in the hotel’s eclectic spa, which comes with a sauna, a Turkish bath, and a plunge pool.
Alternatively, you can reenergize in the fitness room which boasts state-of-the-art equipment. Dotted around the hotel are a handful of charming communal nooks, where bright-coloured seating areas and spacious lounging spots invite you to kick back and unwind.
- To book, check prices or availability for voco Milan-Fiere, an IHG Hotel
9. Glam Milano – a bright, elegant boutique hotel in a location perfect for exploring
Conveniently opposite the Central Station, Glam Milano is an elegant and sophisticated downtown boutique presenting 171 modern guestrooms.
Catering to both the business and leisure traveller, the hotel is graced by two fully equipped meeting rooms and a handful of cosy nooks where you can take a quick break from the chaos of the city. In addition, three dining rooms and a stylish restaurant are offered on-site, providing traditional Italian courses matched with the flair of innovative international cuisine.
Fresh, organic produce is incorporated into the arty, creative dishes, which include plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options.
- To book, check prices or availability for Glam Milano
10. iQ Hotel Milano – a new, contemporary and design hotel featuring a rooftop bar and spa facilities
This is a smart modern hotel with a buzzing rooftop bar and amazing spa and gym facilities alongside rooms that will live up to all your expectations of four star comfort.
Luxury bedding, smart tv and an excellent breakfast spread… all close to the legendary nightlife and shopping of Milan.
- To book, check prices or availability for iQ Hotel Milano
11. STRAF, Milan, a member of Design Hotels – an artistic, modern and urban hotel housed in a 19th century historic building
Here we have a minimalist hotel designed for the style-conscious jetsetter, offering wellness-themed bedrooms equipped with aromatherapy goodies and massage armchairs.
Straf is neatly hidden in a quaint side street off Piazza del Duomo, a stone’s throw from the city’s fashionable shopping streets. The industrial design of this edgy urban hotel features cement walls, oxidised brass, and black slate fittings, catalysing an atmosphere of warmth and cosiness.
The guestrooms are adorned with graceful objects and recycled artwork, topped with a willowy splash of colour. International dishes are served in the small on-site restaurant, while an eclectic crowd gathers in the Straf Bar to enjoy live music and international DJ sets.
- To book, check prices or availability for STRAF, Milan, a member of Design Hotels
12. Boutique Hotel Borgo Nuovo – a petite, cool and stylish hotel where guests can experience an Italian-style buffet breakfast
Gorgeous boutique hotel in Chiaravalle, south of the city close to Parco Sud Nature Reserve. Its unique selling point is the fact that it doesn’t feel like you are in a big city like Milan.
It’s a gorgeous little urban countryside oasis decked out in a balance of 40’s vintage and contemporary flair, carefully designed by Viviana Fedeli and Luca Puglia with original artworks by Samantha Lina.
Great place for some self-care too with a gym, terrace, sunroof and fitness trail plus Pilates, Postural training and Massage available on request.
- To book, check prices or availability for Boutique Hotel Borgo Nuovo
13. Hotel Milano Scala – one of the first eco-friendly hotels in the city, offering guests a themed, unique and boutique stay
At Hotel Milano Scala, Thespian-themed spaces decorated with large images of dance and opera share a nod to Milan’s rich cultural history, and backstage scenes from the Historical Archives of La Scala Opera House are dotted around the property.
The hotel is located in Brera, an artistic district peppered with cobbled streets, quirky boutiques, and lively bars and restaurants.
Inside, a youthful vigour is lent by upbeat music, as well as the gaudy touches such as brass plated chains, an antique piano, and extravagant furniture. Some guestrooms open onto an ancient interior courtyard, while others boast terraces with views of the 15th -century Castello Sforzesco.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Milano Scala
14. Room Mate Giulia – a quirky, fun and retro accommodation moments away from the Fashion District
Brimming with character, Room Mate Giulia is a unique combination of retro furnishings, eccentric paintings, and homely rooms, topped with extra touches that evoke an air of romance.
The stylish interiors take inspiration from Sixties Milanese homes, particularly in the fresh and lively lobby area which boasts an array of traditional armchairs, sofas, and tables in audaciously bright colours.
The nearby Duomo is reflected by the pink marble floor, and Milan’s famous terracotta churches are recalled by a curved brick wall.
Warm shades of green, light blue and pink decorate the guestrooms, which offer bespoke tiled bathrooms decked out in vivid colours to exude a fun-loving atmosphere.
- To book, check prices or availability for Room Mate Giulia
15. Palazzo Cornalia – a newly renovated, beautiful and 5-star accommodation with a lively atmosphere
A stay at Palazzo Cornalia is a continuous juxtaposition between art and aesthetics. This designer boutique hotel exudes a warm soul, owing to its carefully curated colours and materials and its refined works of pop art.
As you arrive, you will be welcomed by vivid lights that blissfully contrast with the dark and deep shades within the hall, where a lavish tone is set by a collection of Milanese luxury goods.
These goods include designer bags which are available for purchase. The 36 guestrooms were recently renovated with a cultured flair and a fresh, refined design, inviting guests into a cocooning environment where the chaos of the outside world will momentarily seem non-existent.
- To book, check prices or availability for Palazzo Cornalia
16. Milan Suite Hotel – an Asian-inspired, unique and quiet accommodation ideal for a relaxing and rejuvenating getaway
This Asian-influenced hotel is nestled in a quiet neighbourhood in Milan’s vibrant northside. Unique art pieces sourced in Asia enrich the stylish decoration which beautifies the communal spaces, providing a relaxing haven for both business and leisure travellers.
The lobby is flooded with natural light, setting a cosy feel which is enhanced by the warm-toned walls and silky soft fabrics. The hotel’s reception area opens onto a hanging garden with comfy seating areas, while the first-floor playroom will keep the kids occupied with video games and a large TV.
If you manage to bag a ground-floor room, you will benefit from your own peaceful, secluded garden.
- To book, check prices or availability for Milan Suite Hotel
17. Savona 18 Suites – a charming, elegant and creative accommodation surrounded by art museums and restaurants
Located in the Navigli, the fashion district of Milan, this hotel is a masterful reworking of a classic Milanese house. It’s perfectly preserved exterior gives way to all sorts of lovely quirks and vintage surprises inside.
Every space has something gorgeous to look at courtesy of interior designer and artist Aldo Cibic and everything is also available for guests to buy. Warm minimalism and modernity are punctuated with beautiful artworks and bespoke furniture to make you feel special and inspired.
Rooms are comfortable and uncluttered, many have large windows that open out onto views of the neighbourhood, all have Nespresso machines and minibar’s at your disposal. A great place to soak up the style of this very European city.
- To book, check prices or availability for Savona 18 Suites
18. Hotel Mediolanum – an eco-friendly, funky and vibrant accommodation providing guests with a central location
Welcoming you to a world of original and captivating design, Hotel Mediolanum is depicted by its colourful furnishings and its cheery atmosphere.
The guestrooms were individually devised with distinctive chromatic and scenographic elements, evoking an air of eccentricity. As you wake up in your secluded sanctuary, you will immediately be faced with abstract art and unexpected plays of lights, designed to inspire creativity.
Before heading out on your urban adventures, you can fuel up with an internationally-inspired buffet breakfast on the ground floor. The hotel boasts a supreme location in close proximity to the main railway station, the underground lines, and the varied shopping area of Corso Buenos Aires.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Mediolanum
19. J24 Hotel Milano – a quiet, charming boutique accommodation with friendly staff on hand to help organise your trip itinerary
Pleasantly situated away from the hustle and bustle in the Niguarda district, yet only 7 metro stations from Milan’s eclectic centre, J24 Hotel truly is the best of both worlds.
Visitors flock to this graceful boutique to embrace a suburban charm, and peacefully stroll the surrounding leafy streets to soak up the less touristy side of Milan.
The guestrooms are bright and welcoming, and are comprised of plush beds, wall-mounted TVs, parquet floors, and an eye-catching colour palette.
The hotel boasts a vibrant bar and 2 well-resourced meeting rooms, catering to business travellers, holidaymakers, and couples on a weekend getaway.
- To book, check prices or availability for J24 Hotel Milano
20. AHD Rooms – a modern, upscale and spacious accommodation within walking distance of local popular attractions
Situated in Piazza Duomo just a few meters from the prestigious Galleria Vittorio Emanuele, AHD Rooms epitomises modern luxury through a modern, streamlined design.
Here, exquisite attention to detail has created a setting that is both relaxing and opulent. Inside, you will find elegant furnishings with curved lines, as well as advanced home automation technology designed to foster maximum satisfaction.
The guestrooms vary in size, with some featuring a private Jacuzzi and beautiful vistas of the Duomo. Refined fabrics, delicate subdued lighting, and spacious bathrooms with chromotherapy showers add an air of elegance, while the fully equipped kitchenettes provide a sense of homely comfort.
- To book, check prices or availability for AHD Rooms
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Rome
- Cool boutique hotels in Venice
- Cool boutique hotels in The Dolomites
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Tuscany
- Cool boutique hotels in Nice
- Cool boutique hotels in Barcelona
- Cool boutique hotels in Madrid
- Cool boutique hotels in San Sebastian
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lausanne
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bern
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Hvar
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Turin
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Split
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Siena
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Majorca
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Sorrento
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Sardinia
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Naples
- Cool and Unusual hotels in St. Tropez
- Cool and Unusual hotels in The Amalfi Coast
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lake Como
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Pisa
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lake Garda
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Genoa
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Verona
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Florence
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cinque Terre
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Rimini
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.