A 400-year-old UNESCO World Heritage Site, Quebec is a city unlike any other. Located in eastern Canada, and soaked in French culture and charm, the romantic cobbled streets make their way through European architecture, between historic landmarks and past gourmet restaurants and elegant shops.
Its unique and charming ambience is also reflected in its fine collection of places to stay, from gorgeous intimate boutiques to chic and modern high rises, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Quebec, Canada (in no particular order)…
1. Le Capitole Hotel – a striking hotel housed in the beaux arts-style Le Capitole theatre in Old Quebec
The hotel has been elegantly revamped – incorporating herringbone hardwood floors, gleaming marble tiles, white paneled walls and huge windows opening onto Old Quebec City. You can even relax in the pool while enjoying a city view.
Large events are held in a circular room which captures a by-gone atmosphere with its exposed beams, sepia images and warm tones; a range of private rooms and the very grand Capitole Theatre are also available for private events.
The Capitole’s Il Teatro restaurant has served Italian cuisine with a modern twist for 25 years, while B? Cuisine d’Asie welcomes guests into a fresh, trendy space to enjoy vibrant Asian cuisine.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Capitole Hotel
2. Hotel 71 by Preferred Hotels & Resorts – a hip, urban and innovative hotel that offers riverside views
The lobby of Hotel 71 manages to be cozy and comfortable while also sleek and sophisticated. And they take convenience a step further with the 24/7 automatic dispenser stocked with hand-picked wines and cocktails.
At the hotel’s restaurant, authentic Italian comfort foods are served alongside signature cocktails in a relaxed but super-stylish setting.
Rooms and suites are sumptuous and snug, and the penthouse boasts a fireplace and private terrace overlooking the city’s attractions. Various airy, well-appointed shared areas and rooms – including the library, banquet room and adjacent café – are available for meetings and events.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel 71 by Preferred Hotels & Resorts
3. C3- Hotel Art De Vivre – an upscale and very Instagrammable boutique-style hotel that offers unique, hip and stylish decor
A quirky hotel boasting striking statement pieces and bursts of color that will delight any art lover. Situated on the corner of Cartier Avenue and Grande-Allée, climbing ivy climbs over the 150-year-old house, setting a traditional scene; however, it’s impossible to ignore the golden horse casually residing over the front lawn.
Inside, guestrooms enjoy a retro-modern feel with funky artwork featuring against crisp white décor. Suites are available in rich reds and mahogany or cool monochrome alongside exposed stonework.
Look out for the multitude of hip lighting features, especially in the creatively designed bar area and terrace – adding to the Instagrammable-vibe of this hotel.
- To book, check prices or availability for C3- Hotel Art De Vivre
4. Monastère des Augustines – a cool and unusual boutique hotel that used to be a monastery in the 17th century
Lovingly restored, this not-for-profit hotel provides an oasis of calm in the heart of the city. In its former cloister are two types of accommodation – for the most authentic experience, choose a minimalist, wooden-beamed room with a traditional iron bed frame, or opt for a more upscale room with a bigger bed, a full private bathroom, storage space, workspace option and large windows.
The peaceful environment, as well as daily access to the Monastery and its relaxation sessions, are a powerful recharger of the batteries. The on-site Vivoir restaurant prides itself on catering to guests’ requirements from a locally sourced menu.
- To book, check prices or availability for Monastère des Augustines
5. Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac – an outstanding heritage urban resort that will take your breath away with stunning views
A magnificent red brick building with peaked fairy-tale rooftops, this exceptionally recommended hotel oozes elegance.
Shared spaces have been meticulously designed in smooth dark woods, polished marble and crystal lighting. Spacious rooms and suites in warm creams and classy neutral tones create an easy winding down environment.
Views looking over St. Lawrence River or the architecture of Old Quebec provide a moment of calm, or you can relax with massages and body treatments at the wellbeing spa.
Several world-class restaurants are available on-site – from cutting-edge gastronomy to afternoon tea to craft cocktails – there’s something to fit every mood. A range of luxurious rooms including the historic Grand Ballroom host weddings and business events.
- To book, check prices or availability for Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac
6. Auberge J.A Moisan – an upscale Bed and Breakfast with quirky-chic, historic inspired decor
This historic abode stays true to its Victorian-era heritage and welcomes guests with cozy parlor vibes. The sunny conservatory and terrace are a lovely, quaint spot for sitting out, and the charming interior features a shared lounge carefully decorated in floral prints and beautifully polished wood.
Then the guest rooms continue the plush, Victorian theme combined with modern comforts.
Continental breakfasts are available daily. But there’s also the special on-site grocery store which stocks a range of fine epicurean products such as coffee, teas, wines, microbrewery, cheeses and other eats.
- To book, check prices or availability for Auberge J.A Moisan
7. Auberge Saint-Antoine – a distinctive family-owned boutique hotel that offers great amenities
Auberge Saint-Antoine is a family-owned boutique hotel in Quebec’s Old Town that has been part of the city’s history for over 300 years.
Original features are combined with elegant design and plush luxury throughout the hotel to create a unique place to stay. The luxurious rooms are heated underfoot, furnished with deep soaking tubs and look out onto stunning views of the city.
A wide range of organic treatments and pampering services are available at the spa and gym. And the on-site movie theater is available for guest use for private screenings and events. The hotel’s farm and garden supplies seasonal local ingredients for the restaurant and alfresco dining.
Light meals and craft cocktails are also available in the bar which also showcases fascinating historic artefacts that have been excavated from the hotel site over the decades.
- To book, check prices or availability for Auberge Saint-Antoine
8. Hôtel Le Germain Québec – a trendy design hotel nestled in a scenic little street in the heart of Old Quebec
The sleek interior of this hotel belies its 100 years standing in Quebec City’s Old Port. From the lobby to the guestrooms, the décor is soothingly sophisticated in matt black, pristine whites and shades of grey. Several large event spaces are equally easy on the eye – able to host large or small-scale occasions.
Breakfast is served in lobby or as room service, and the restaurant dishes up revisited classic dishes using locally sourced ingredients.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hôtel Le Germain Québec
9. Auberge Place d’Armes – a charming boutique-style historic inn near great attractions and pets are welcome too
From rustic chic to dreamy romantic, each room has a distinct character and all are beautifully styled, combining original features with modern design.
Homemade breakfasts are delivered to room doors every morning, and a traditional French brasserie connected to the hotel serves classic dishes alongside a range of wines and beers.
- To book, check prices or availability for Auberge Place d’Armes
10. Hotel Quartier, Ascend Hotel Collection – a modern hotel perfect for millennials and Gen Zs
Located along Boulevard Laurier, near Old Quebec, Hotel Quartier is a modern boutique hotel.
Crisp lines and smart design are punctuated by contemporary art, and a spacious lobby seating area that boasts almost an entire wall of floor-to-ceiling windows. Swish guest rooms are wood-floored and decorated in calming tones with a laid-back feel.
The low-lit hotel bar area is a relaxed spot for socializing. Other amenities include an indoor pool, a fully-equipped fitness center, and six spacious meeting and event rooms.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Quartier, Ascend Hotel Collection
11. Le Clos Saint-Louis – one of Old Quebec’s most romantic and unique boutique-style hotels
This romantic Victorian house has been carefully restored to an exceptionally high standard, while maintaining its 19th-century charm. An opulent mix of old-world delight, elegant design and contemporary comfort make for a unique abode in the center of old Quebec City.
Three levels of rooms and two levels of suites are decked out in soft fabrics, refined prints, Victorian-inspired furniture, and in some cases feature original wood features. A refrigerator and microwave are available in the common kitchen area.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Clos Saint-Louis
12. Chateau Des Tourelles – a relaxed trendy hotel set in a turreted 1898 manor with river views and a panoramic roof terrace
A roof edged with turrets and a mini-spire reaching for the sky, means that you can’t fail to spot this historic hotel in downtown Quebec. City, mountain and river views can be enjoyed from the very same rooftop terrace.
Inside, a warm welcome and relaxed, modern décor awaits guests. Rooms range from the comfortable regular size to triple studio with fully equipped kitchen – with the option of a jacuzzi and private terrace in between.
A continental breakfast is served daily to rooms and suites doors, and the sunny tearoom has drinks-making facilities and a stacked bookshelf. With the hotel’s location being so convenient, there’s also an abundance of good quality restaurants, cafes and attractions within walking distance.
- To book, check prices or availability for Chateau Des Tourelles
13. Hotel le Priori – a fine gem of a boutique hotel located in a prestigious location in the Old Quebec district
The pastel green front and vibrant window baskets make for a delightful first impression of the exceptionally recommended Hotel Priori in Old Quebec district, a few steps from Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac.
Rooms are a cool mixture of original features and chic, modern design – carefully curated modern art pieces hang on exposed stonework, and antique-style bathtubs sit in streamlined, contemporary bathrooms.
The hotel also has some particularly impressive suites which are spread over two floors, with their own fireplace. Fresh, local produce is served at breakfast.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel le Priori
14. Hotel Port-Royal – a chic modern hotel that is within walking distance from the Notre Dame de Quebec Cathedral
Situated in the popular Old Port of Quebec, the Hotel Port-Royal caters to visitors looking for flexibility.
Levels of rooms and suites range from cool urban-chic melded with historic characteristics to grander spaces delivering a more upscale sophistication. Located on the top floor of a 19th-century building, the huge Royal Suite is the hotel’s most high-end accommodation and is also available for events.
Various packages include parking, breakfast, evening meal at the local Louise Taverne, and access to Strom spa.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Port-Royal
15. Hotel Manoir D’Auteuil – an elegant and romantic hotel that blends commodity and chic European art decor
This exceptionally-recommended, historic abode has 33 unique rooms where the glamour of French art deco sits beautifully alongside the grandeur of yesteryear.
Varying high ceilinged rooms feature oak wood paneling, four poster beds and exposed beams – all in rich, soothing tones. Guests can choose a room that was once a chapel, or another named after the singer Edith Piaf, as she once stayed in that very room. There’s also the option for longer stays at the hotel’s home-from-home apartments.
In the hotel lounge, continental breakfasts come with fruit from the local farmer’s market, and then cocktails and light bites are served into the evening.
Being centrally located inside the old city walls, near the Quebec City Conference Center and many tourist attractions, it’s a great location for business and pleasure.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Manoir D’Auteuil
16. Hotel Must – a modern family-friendly hotel that provides a children’s playground and a sun terrace
Just steps from Quebec City airport, Hotel Must is in a convenient spot for people flying into Quebec.
Smart, comfortable rooms and suites with all mod cons, including electric fireplaces, offer a relaxed atmosphere for travelers and tourists. Two large reception rooms host events for work or social occasions.
Relax with a view of Quebec City from the outdoor rooftop terraces or hot tubs. Or for more active entertainment, try the indoor pool with water slide or the nearby family arcade. On the ground floor, Boston Pizza serves up the usual favorites and warm buffet breakfasts are available daily.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Must
17. Hôtel Sainte-Anne – a unique hotel that was once a center of festivities for politicians
Along a pretty street in Old Québec City, the exceptionally recommended Hôtel Sainte-Anne combines charm and comfort in all its six uniquely styled rooms.
Although the building dates back over 300 years, the interior is stylish in soothing natural tones and trendy stripped walls. Interestingly, before it was a hotel, this was a well-known party place for politicians to meet after a day’s work in the National Assembly.
The popular restaurant – Mûrmu – is on the ground floor and gives guests a 10% discount on contemporary French dishes.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hôtel Sainte-Anne
18. Grand Times Hotel – a charming boutique-style hotel that offers a babysitting service
The New York-inspired interior and central fire pit in the lobby gives this boutique hotel a modern, urban vibe, just minutes away from Quebec airport.
Two types of rooms and suites deliver increasing levels of luxury and facilities. Reds and blacks feature throughout the smart, comfortable accommodation – as well as three out of four of the meeting rooms. A healthy, continental breakfast is served buffet style.
Other amenities include indoor swimming pool, fitness center, jacuzzi, massage therapist and business services. Another perk of staying at the Grand Times Hotel are the exclusive discounts offered to guests by a list of local businesses and eateries.
- To book, check prices or availability for Grand Times Hotel
19. Hotel Chateau Laurier Québec – an exceptional hotel that features an indoor saltwater pool and an outdoor hot tub
At the heart of the Old Port, this third-generation family business welcomes guests into their chic lobby, and airy guestrooms colored in natural tones – immediately creating a soothing ambience.
Then there’s the indoor saltwater pool, outdoor spa pools, Finnish sauna and 24/7 fitness center all under one roof for maximizing downtime.
No less than seventeen meeting spaces cater lavish weddings and tech-dependent conferences, including a cutting-edge broadcast studio. Eco-friendly packages are available for business meetings, in line with the hotel’s sustainability ethos.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Chateau Laurier Québec
20. DoubleTree by Hilton Quebec Resort – one of Old Quebec’s best resorts that offer an on-site golf course
The Double Tree by Hilton is 20 minutes outside Old Quebec, and next to the only 18-hole championship course in Quebec, (Golf de la Faune). Guest rooms are bright and airy with soothing slate grey and ebony touches.
There’s also the option to book the Five Feet to Fitness room where you can work out in the privacy of your own room. Alternatively, the fitness center and thermal and polar baths are available for all. Large occasion rooms are also decked out in monochrome shades, for a sophisticated feel.
Overlooking the golf course is the dining area serving gourmet cuisine in a relaxed environment with pops of vivid color and a wall of wine to choose from.
- To book, check prices or availability for DoubleTree by Hilton Quebec Resort
We also have posts on…
- Cool Boutique hotels in Montreal
- Cool Boutique hotels in Toronto
- Cool Boutique hotels in Vancouver
- Cool Boutique hotels in Calgary
- Cool Boutique hotels in Edmonton
- Cool Boutique hotels in Portland, Maine
- Cool Boutique hotels in Boston
- Cool Boutique hotels in Buffalo
- Cool Boutique Hotels in The Finger Lakes
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bar Harbor
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.