The compact capital of Virginia is known for its well-preserved history, intricate canals, its role in the Civil War, and for being among America’s oldest major cities. It’s also quite a hipster haunt, with an arty vibe and a high density of electric thrift shops, an upbeat live music scene, trendy neighborhoods, vegan eateries and microbreweries. You’ll also find plenty of interesting places to stay. From gorgeous boutiques to sleek and modern high rises, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Richmond, Virginia (in no particular order, they’re all awesome)...
1. Graduate Richmond – a hip and unique fun themed hotel perfect for Millenials and Gen Zs
Not many hotels describe themselves as preppy, but the Graduate Richmond is exactly that, whip-smart but laid back, this hotel combines mid-century minimalism with a homage to tennis legend Arthur Ashe. Ashe famously said, “Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome” but when the destination is the Graduate Richmond, the outcome is truly special.
Gorgeous walnut paneling in the lobby combines with the Ashe spectacle frames on display to really bring history to life, whilst the lobby-level games room is a great way to get your preppy vibe on. The seasonal rooftop pool, bar and kitchen is perfect for hanging out and observing the city lights.
- To book, check prices or availability for Graduate Richmond
2. The Commonwealth – a stylish and trendy place to stay that has beautiful decor, located in the heart of downtown Richmond
One of the most unique hotels we’ve ever come across, the Commonwealth has a century of history and a really modern vibe. Each of the 59 suites has a tattooed door, tipping a hat to Richmond being the third most tattooed city in America, and with furniture and art created by local artisans, this hotel is really focused on design at the heart of everything; you can even travel in the original 1912 elevators, a fab photo op for #Igers.
Rueger’s restaurant is named for the family that established the hotel and it focuses on Southern food and Virginia dishes to give you a real taste of the South.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Commonwealth
3. Virginia Crossings Hotel, Tapestry Collection by Hilton – an elegant colonial hotel that features a unique Southern charm
Virginia Crossings is a relaxing venue with a collegiate feel. The campus style hotel nestles in 20 acres of gorgeous open space, and the Colonial style architecture is perfectly complemented by stunning English gardens.
It’s not all laid-back charm though: all 183 bedrooms have iPod docking stations and an outdoor pool and on-site golf course give this hotel an active base that will please athletes, while stunning curved staircases, gleaming pillars and antique furnishings make this one of the most unique historical hotels in the USA.
- To book, check prices or availability for Virginia Crossings Hotel, Tapestry Collection by Hilton
4. Embassy Suites by Hilton Richmond – a mid-century modern and very Instagrammable hotel
The Embassy Suites are pure Mad Men, and the ultra-cool decor makes this one of the finest trendy hotels we’ve seen. The modern amenities are pretty cool too – 225 rooms, with free WiFi and two TVs in every suite, a heated indoor salt-water pool and fantastic fitness centre and a business centre and convenience store mean that there’s everything you could want on-site.
A made-to-order free breakfast is an added bonus while the Atrium Grill is so Don Draperesque that you’ll feel compelled to order a Canadian Club!
- To book, check prices or availability for Embassy Suites by Hilton Richmond
5. The Westin Richmond – a newly renovated modern hotel that offers wellness center amenities
There’s no doubt big chain hotels can feel a little impersonal, which makes The Westin remarkable for its personalized approach. Like most modern hotels it’s full of fantastic amenities, an indoor pool, gym and fitness studio plus a hot tub but the above and beyond for The Westin Richmond is in details like the fresh, organic cuisine offered at the Small Batch Local Kitchen which also provides evening cocktails and snacks that boost both mood and health.
Just three miles from the university campus and within five minutes of the corporate zone, this really is a hotel with heart, at the heart of the city.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Westin Richmond
6. The Berkeley Hotel – a charming boutique hotel based in a historic part of Richmond, VA
The Berkeley Hotel truly deserves the title boutique – one part of its unique charm is that each of the 55 rooms is unique and the reservation team make every effort to find the perfect accommodation for you. Describing these rooms as a sanctuary is not a stretch – each carefully curated room or suite is elegantly timeless but packed with modern innovations.
Another thing that makes the Berkeley a gem of a vacation spot is its location, right on the edge of the historic cobblestoned Shockoe Slip with its superb range of dining options. The Berkeley also boasts its own restaurant, the Cobblestone Bar and Grill, that combines historic charm with excellent cuisine.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Berkeley Hotel
7. Delta Hotels Richmond Downtown – a chic and contemporary hotel where guests can appreciate stunning river views
Design hotels come in many shapes and sizes, and the Delta Hotel by Marriott Richmond Downtown is a fantastic example of the best of modern design. Many rooms have an outstanding view of the James River which combine with every modern amenity to make this the perfect base for visiting Richmond, there’s even a complimentary downtown shuttle to make tourism easy. But this is a hotel it’s easy not to leave, with a spacious indoor pool and an airy gym and ultra-modern dining options at the on-site restaurant and lounge, the sleek pantry which offers a selection of snacks and Starbucks Coffee.
- To book, check prices or availability for Delta Hotels Richmond Downtown
8. Linden Row Inn – a unique boutique style historic inn that blends originality and tradition
Close to the heart of downtown Richmond, Linden Row Inn’s 70 bedrooms are literally historic, full of antiques that have earned the hotel a place on the National Register of Historic Places. But there’s nothing stuffy about their fantastic amenities including cable TV, wifi and air conditioning.
There’s a romantic garden courtyard for a sundowner and for history buffs, it’s rumoured to be the place where Poe wrote about an enchanted garden in his poem “To Helen”. Just five minutes from Richmond’s gastronomic centre, this hotel feels like the past with all the comforts of the present, including access to great bars, eateries and entertainment.
- To book, check prices or availability for Linden Row Inn
9. Residence Inn by Marriott Richmond Downtown – easily one of the coolest hotels to stay in Richmond, perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
It might be right in the historic Shockoe Slip area, but Residence Inn Richmond Downtown is the height of modernity. Six stories of modern amenities with rooms up to 50% bigger than standard, this spacious hip hotel offers free breakfasts and wifi, a great fitness centre and outstanding views over the cobblestones of Shockoe Slip or the lights of the modern city.
This ultra-modern hotel is situated precisely where Thomas Jefferson wrote the Virginia Statute of Religious Freedom and it reflects on this historic moment with a fascinating display of historic documents and images.
- To book, check prices or availability for Residence Inn by Marriott Richmond Downtown
10. Omni Richmond Hotel – a trendy architectural hotel that offers great amenities
From its vast glass atrium serving Tuscan delicacies through to the elegant outdoor sun deck, Omni Richmond hotel is a combination of southern charm and high rise style.
Many rooms and suites have world-class views of the James River rapids, while the Westham Tavern harks back to nearly three hundred years of history in its decor, whilst offering the best local food served with real Southern charm.
There’s a heated indoor pool, and a well-designed fitness center – in fact, everything you could want to make a trip to Richmond special.
- To book, check prices or availability for Omni Richmond Hotel
We also have posts on…
- Cool Boutique Hotels Savannah
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Washington DC
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Philadelphia
- Cool Boutique Hotels in New York
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Pittsburgh
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Colombus
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Atlanta
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Cincinnati
- Cool Boutique hotels in Myrtle Beach
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Winston-Salem