Situated on the banks of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers, the city of St. Louis is often called the Gateway to the West and is filled with plenty of trails, parks, and world-class attractions – as well as a rich cultural scene.
It was also listed as one of the “Hottest Hipster Markets in America” (by Realtor.com) so also expect plenty of cool bars, trendy coffee shops, boutique stores, and craft beer galore.
There are also some pretty special places to stay too, from quirky boutiques to chic and modern places perfect for Instagrammers, here are the best cool, unique and funky hotels in St. Louis, Missouri (in no particular order)…
1. Angad Arts Hotel – a cool and hip, art-inspired boutique hotel perfect for Instagrammers
Only a few miles away from the Gateway Arch, you can immerse yourself in a world of color and creativity at the uber-hip Angard Arts Hotel.
Soothing, energizing, and inspiring spaces showcase meticulously curated local pieces, and the bedrooms harness the power of either red, blue, green, or yellow.
Rooms also contain stunning permanent commissions, and you can appreciate even more artistic talent at the regular exhibitions.
The highly recommended Commonwealth restaurant serves delicious modern European food, an outdoor rooftop terrace, library with skyline views, and ballroom offer options for both business and celebrations.
- To book, check prices or availability for Angad Arts Hotel
2. The Moonrise Hotel – a cosmic-inspired, fun, and funky boutique hotel
Maybe you can’t get the moon on a stick, but you can enjoy rooftop drinks under the largest man-made moon in the world – at The Moonrise Hotel rooftop garden. This unique abode fuses light, clean design with touches of neon, futuristic memorabilia, and artwork.
The celebrity suites are inspired by stars of an earthlier nature – specifically well-known people from St. Louis. The hotel has a range of event spaces including the stunning Twilight room, an indoor/outdoor space affording sweeping views of the city under a glass solar panel roof.
And being located on the Delmar Loop, you’re not a galaxy away from theatres, museums, restaurants, and parks. Easily one of the coolest hotels to stay in St Louis.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Moonrise Hotel
3. St. Louis Union Station Hotel – an award-winning unique upscale hotel housed in a former railway terminal
Old school elegance meets modern design at the St. Louis Union Station Hotel. Sitting within the iconic St. Louis Union Station building, the hotel retains much of its original architecture and character while offering the luxury that you’d expect from a highly recommended hotel in the heart of the city.
A real highpoint is dining beneath the Grand Hall’s stunning 65ft arches then enjoying a spectacular 3D light show.
Not far from Downtown, the hotel is ideally located for exploring the city, but also on your doorstep is a mix of retail, event venues, cafes, restaurants, and family-friendly attractions which now fill the historic station.
The hotel also offers multiple spaces for events and gatherings, as well as an outdoor pool and fitness center.
- To book, check prices or availability for St. Louis Union Station Hotel
4. The Last Hotel – a chic and hip hotel with an art deco vibe housed in a former historic shoe factory
Located in the Washington Avenue Garment District, this boutique hotel soaked in history has its home in the once the famous International Shoe Co. Building.
The interior of The Last Hotel St Louis is beautifully Instagrammable with classic luxurious browns, creams, and tan furniture setting off original stone carvings, metalwork, and wooden features that have lasted through the decades – all alongside a touch of Art Deco and Neoclassical style.
The three floors of meeting and event space include two ballrooms with floor-to-ceiling windows and six boardrooms.
You’re close enough to discover all downtown St. Louis has to offer or you may choose to feast at the Italian-inspired kitchen or enjoy a tasty bite by the pool at the rooftop bar and restaurant. Other amenities include a fitness center and game room.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Last Hotel St Louis
5. Live! by Loews – a trendy modern luxury hotel set across the street from the Busch Stadium
This luxury hotel sits within Ballpark Village – next to St. Louis Cardinal’s Busch Stadium – and is a magnet for sports fans or those looking for lively places to eat, drink or enjoy a jam-packed calendar of events.
The great location is not the only reason to visit – full-length windows flood natural light into the sleek, modern bedrooms; the fitness facility comes complete with Pelotons, and the hotel boasts its very own whiskey aging room – filled with rare drams and local favorites.
Choose from sophisticated event and meeting spaces with views of downtown, Busch Stadium, and the Gateway Arch or try the very cool outdoor rooftop space which is large enough for ceremonies.
- To book, check prices or availability for Live! by Loews
6. Hotel Indigo, St. Louis, Downtown – a new, fun, and creative hotel perfect for Millenials and Gen Zs
IHG Hotels pride itself on embracing local cultures. And the chic boutique Hotel Indigo is no exception – from artwork showcasing regional talent to menus full of locally sourced ingredients.
The hotel restaurant – Switch List – serves modern American dishes or you can take in sky-high views of the city from the rooftop bar sipping a handcrafted cocktail or locally brewed beer.
Alternatively, being already downtown, you’re just a few steps away from a wealth of Midwestern hospitality. Then at the end of the day, spa-style bathrooms and plush bedrooms create a comfortable, stylish space to unwind in.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Indigo, St. Louis, Downtown
7. The Chase Park Plaza Royal Sonesta St. Louis – an upscale hotel located in an ornate art deco-style high-rise
Overlooking Forest Park, this impressive Art Deco building combines old-world glamour with modern elegance. Expect a sophisticated palette of greys, blues, ivories, and rich, dark wood combine with natural light at The Chase Park Plaza Royal Sonesta St. Louis to create a truly luxurious environment.
Enjoy local beers or handcrafted cocktails at one of four restaurants – serving fine dining and traditional American fare. An outdoor fireplace and heated pool ensure you can relax outside whatever the temperature.
Or kick back in the five-screen movie theatre which shows the latest releases. With several meeting rooms and a ballroom, there’s a stylish space to host any event.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Chase Park Plaza Royal Sonesta St. Louis
8. Hotel Saint Louis, Autograph Collection – this upscale hotel housed in a stately building with a vintage vibe
The simple, but classic décor of neutral colors accented with golds and dark blues immediately create a calming environment in this city center hotel.
More relaxation is on offer at Hotel Saint Louis with a dip in the outdoor pool or treatments at the full-service spa. Enjoy the St. Louis skyline either from the rooftop bar or with plates of American hometown favorites at the Union 30 restaurant, which is surrounded by panoramic windows.
Being situated between America’s Center Convention Complex and Ballpark Village, Hotel Saint Louis is in an ideal spot for business or leisure. A ballroom full of chandeliers and several meeting rooms also plays host to all kinds of events.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Saint Louis, Autograph Collection
9. The Cheshire – a traditional, British-themed boutique hotel
Full of Brit-inspired charm, The Cheshire is a luxury boutique hotel unlike any other in the area. With a Tudor-style exterior and interior of an old English manor house, you may feel like you’ve stepped into a classic English tale.
Some of the bedrooms are even named and designed with British writers and their works in mind.
Antique furnishings are spread throughout the hotel, but there’s no shortage of modern amenities: chill by the pool, work out at the fitness center or host events at the Boundary – a unique, versatile space for gatherings.
Refuel at the English-style Fox and Hounds or the sleek Italian Gastropub or eat at one of the many nearby restaurants in the city center.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Cheshire
10. The Four Seasons, St. Louis – an award-winning, upscale hotel with plenty of entertainment
This hotel’s light, luxurious décor, and open spaces create a calming, sophisticated atmosphere, enhanced by the many floor-to-ceiling windows.
Designed with relaxation in mind, the full-service spa at The Four Seasons, St. Louis offers the latest treatments, and the outdoor pool is surrounded by gorgeous, private cabanas.
The rooftop bar offers some of the best views of the city, and in the Cinder House restaurant, top-level chefs serve global fare inspired by wood-fired cuisine.
Situated near the riverfront, and with its own virtual golfing suite and access to the Lumiere Place and casino, there’s no shortage of entertainment options.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Four Seasons, St. Louis
11. Casa Magnolia B&B – quirky and unique accommodation set in a Victorian-era home
Located within walking distance of Missouri Botanical Gardens and Tower Grove Park, this charming red brick B&B offers visitors a warm welcome and brings a personal touch to any trip to St. Louis.
The family-run Casa Magnolia B&B has three unique double rooms, each with a private bath. Breakfast is homemade and freshly served or can be parceled up to go – just like home from home.
The property also has a garden, a seasonal outdoor swimming pool, and a shared lounge.
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa Magnolia B&B
12. HoteLumiere at The Arch – a relaxed but fun casino hotel
As part of Lumiere Place, this hotel offers an assortment of entertainment options: a range of restaurants serving international and hometown dishes, a casino featuring slot machines, table games, and a poker room, sports bar with multiple screens, indoor pool, and fitness center, as well as access to a huge patio that sparkles with light in the evening.
Add to that you’re already in downtown St. Louis and you’re not going to run out of fun to have. When it’s time to ease up, the rooms are plush and cozy, many with first-rate views of the city.
- To book, check prices or availability for HoteLumiere at The Arch
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Nashville
- Cool boutique hotels in Chicago
- Cool boutique hotels in Kansas City
- Cool boutique hotels in Columbus
- Cool boutique hotels in Dallas
- Cool boutique hotels in Atlanta
- Cool boutique hotels in Houston
- Cool Boutique hotels in Milwaukee
- Cool Boutique hotels in Omaha
- Cool Boutique hotels in Memphis
- Cool Boutique hotels in Cincinnati
- Cool boutique hotels in Galena
- Cool Boutique hotels in Asheville
- Cool Boutique hotels in Indianapolis
- Cool boutique hotels in Oklahoma City
- Cool boutique hotels in Tulsa
- Cool boutique hotels in Madison
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Hot Springs
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lexington
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Eureka Springs
- Cool boutique hotels in Branson
- Cool boutique hotels in Lincoln
Gary is an award winning full time professional photographer and videographer with too much wanderlust for his own good. Fuelled by strong coffee, you’ll often find him wandering well off hiking trails in search of interesting photographic subjects or scenery to video. Self taught and with the use of pioneering digital techniques, he quickly built up a strong client base and has worked with many prestigious organisations, including GQ, BBC, London Fashion Week, Grazia, Sky, Metro, Vogue Italia. He specialising in evocative images of people, places and cinematic videography and his goal is to make the viewer look twice and engage. As well as a penchant for good design, the ketogenic diet and Hungarian Vizslas, he also has a huge affection for Chicago, Bucharest, Scandinavia, Croatia and absolutely everywhere in Italy. Find him on Instagram @garynansome, Twitter @garynansome and his website https://garynunn.co.uk/